ISLAMABAD, February 19, 2018: The sixth sitting of the National Assembly had to be adjourned due to missing quorum on Monday while the Chair also suspended the proceedings for an hour and ten minutes due to low attendance of lawmakers in the House, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during sixth sitting of the 52nd Session:
- The National Assembly met for three hours and nine minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for an hour and 10 minutes due to low attendance of lawmakers.
- The sitting started at 1704 hours against the scheduled time of 1700 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and 37 minutes while rests of the proceedings were presided over by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) attended the sitting for an hour and 13 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 29 minutes.
- Eighteen (5%) were present at the outset and 64 (18%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The Parliamentary leader of PkMAP, AMLP, JI, QWP, PML-Z and AJIP attended the sitting.
- Six minority members were present.
- The House witnessed presentation of six reports of as many Standing Committees.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House did not observe the Question Hour as the Chair had to suspend the proceedings due to low attendance of lawmaker. The sitting resumed after an hour and ten minutes.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) regarding non-payment of salaries to Lady Health Workers in FATA and loss of more than 15 billion units of electricity by public-sector power generation companies during the last two years.
- The House did not take up a Motion of Thanks to the President for his address to the Parliament.
Order and Institutionalization
- Nine lawmakers spoke on ten points of order for an hour and 16 minutes.
- Lawmakers belonging to FATA staged a token walkout over killing of student from Bajaur in Karachi.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out quorum at 2010 hours, subsequently head count was made and the quorum was found incomplete. The Chair adjourned the House to meet again at 1030 hours on Tuesday.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, November 19, 2021: The National Assembly left entire agenda unaddressed on Friday and was prorogued sine die, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, November 17, 2021: The Majlis-e-Shoora passed 33 bills including the Elections (Second Amendment) Bill, 2021 amid protest and walkout of the opposition, says Free…
ISLAMABAD, November 16, 2021: The National Assembly left entire agenda unaddressed on private members’ day and consumed 83 percent part of its proceedings’ time in…