ISLAMABAD, March 12, 2012: The last sitting of the Punjab Assembly witnessed low attendance of MPAs on Monday, as 13 Members were present at the start and only nine at the adjournment.
Starting an hour and five minutes behind schedule, the sitting lasted two hours and 33 minutes. The Quorum was visibly lacking at various stages of the sitting. It was pointed out by a female MPA of the PML.
Ten out of 31 Starred Questions listed for the Question Hour were responded by the relevant ministries.
A Resolution suggesting reserved parliamentary quota for disabled persons was adopted by the House.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for two hours and 33 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1605 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 1500 hours. The House proceedings started an hour and five minutes late.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition were absent.
- Only the parliamentary leader of MMAP attended the sitting.
- Thirteen Members (3% of the Membership – 369) were present at the start while only nine (2%) were there when the sitting was adjourned.
- Three minority Members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Out of 31 Starred Questions listed for the Question Hour, ten were put up and responded by the relevant ministries. Twenty three supplementary questions were asked.
- Four Adjournment motions were tabled regarding; Transfer of SHO Sarai Alamgir on political grounds, misuse of official vehicles by retired senior police officials and judges, over charging of caretaker of shoes at Badshahi Mosque; and sale of adulterated fertilizer in Sadiqabad. All the motions were pended till the next session.
- Two CANs about killing of citizens while resisting dacoities in Faisalabad and Sheikhupura were taken up by the House.
- The Disposal of Land by Development Authorities (Regulation) (Amendment) Bill 2012 was introduced.
- A Resolution suggesting reserved parliamentary quota for disabled persons was adopted by the House.
Order and Institutionalization
- Nineteen Points Of Order were raised which consumed 35 minutes of the sitting time. However, none of the Points of Order attracted the Chair’s formal ruling.
- Orders of the Day were available to Legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
- The Quorum, visibly lacking, was pointed out by a female Member of PML.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization, a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, June 24, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab approved as many as 39 demands for grants of various departments on Thursday, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, June 23, 2021: The Punjab Assembly concluded the general discussion on Provincial Budget 2021-22 and approved demand for grant related to health services, observes…
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2021: The Punjab Assembly adopted three resolutions and deferred question hour due to absence of relevant minister, observes Free and Fair Election…