ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2018: The National Assembly opened debate on the Finance Supplementary (Amendment) Bill, 2018 with speech of the Leader of the Opposition on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the second sitting of the 2nd session:
- The National Assembly met for three hours and nine minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for 29 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1649 hours against the scheduled time of 1630 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting in absence of the Speaker.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- As many as 90 lawmakers (26%) were present at the outset and 179 (52%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MMA, BNP-M and AMLP attended the sitting.
- Six minority lawmakers were present.
- Minister for Information and Broadcasting presented the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs presented the Elections (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018 in the House.
- Tabled by State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs, the House adopted a resolution to establish Parliamentary Friendship Groups for cementing relations with 91 other Parliaments.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs proposed an amendment in Rule 69 for Prime Minister’s question hour on the first Wednesday once in each session. It was referred to the relevant committee after objections raised by the Opposition lawmakers.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs presented the Elections (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018 in the House.Minister for Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs introduced the Finance Supplementary (Amendment) Bill, 2018 aimed at amending certain laws relating to taxes and duties.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Leader of the Opposition opened the debate on the Supplementary Budget and spoke for an hour and nine minutes. Minister for Finance responded to the speech of the Opposition Leader and spoke for 25 minutes.
- A PML-N lawmaker spoke on the Finance Supplementary (Amendment) Bill, 2018 for five minutes.
- The Housed passed a motion to adjourn the business of Private Member’s Day to take up the government business.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs). The first CAN regarding non-up-gradation of Pakistan Code was responded to by the Parliamentary Secretary for Law and Justice while Minister for Railways responded to another notice regarding train accident in Mianwali.
Order and Institutionalization
- A PPPP lawmaker spoke on a point of order for two minutes and objected the immediate reaction on the speech of the Opposition Leader by Minister for Finance.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on September 25, 2018 (Tuesday) at 1100 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 28, 2021: The National Assembly left 97 percent agenda unaddressed on private members' day and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes…
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up any agenda item on Monday except question hour due to lack of quorum, observes…