ISLAMABAD, June 17, 2015: The National Assembly continued discussion on the 2015-16 Federal Budget amid low attendance of lawmakers and walkout by MQM legislators on Wednesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Twelve lawmakers (3%) were present at the start of the sitting while 15 (4%) at the time of adjournment. The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting while the Opposition Leader was present for 24% (110 minutes) of the sitting’s duration.
Twenty-nine lawmakers took part in the budget debate that took up nearly 75% of the sitting time. The legislators comprise 16 members from PML-N, followed by PPPP (6), PTI (5), JUI-F (one) and an Independent lawmaker.
A newly-elected lawmaker from PML-N took oath while the House received 92 recommendations from Senate on Finance Bill 2015.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in the House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for seven hours and 35 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1010 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The House held lunch and prayer break for 58 minutes.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 192 minutes.
- The remaining time was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- 12 members (3%) were present at the start and 15 (4%) at the time of adjournment.
- A maximum of 150 members (44%) were present during one point of the sitting.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Opposition Leader attended the sitting for 110 minutes.
- The Finance Minister was present for 8% (35 minutes) of the sitting time.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, APML, ANP, AMLP, QWP and PML-F were present.
- Eight minority members attended the proceedings.
- Twelve members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Twenty-nine lawmakers took part in the budget debate that took up nearly 75% of the sitting time. These included sixteen members from PML-N, followed by PPPP (6), PTI (5), JUI-F (one) and an Independent lawmaker.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised six points of order that consumed 30 minutes of the sitting.
- MQM lawmakers walked out of the House at 1253 hours against the on-floor statement of the Defence Minister. They did not return until the adjournment of the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was not available to observers and the public.
To download the document, click here
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 22, 2021: The National Assembly left almost entire agenda unaddressed on Wednesday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 21, 2021: The National Assembly left almost two-third agenda unaddressed on private members’ day and referred five legislative proposals to the relevant committees,…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2021: The National Assembly left 95 percent agenda unaddressed on Monday amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and the Opposition,…