ISLAMABAD, January 4, 2016: Starting 13 minutes behind the schedule, the National Assembly witnessed low attendance as only 42 legislators (12%) were present at the start and 61 (18%) at the time of adjournment during the 2nd sitting of its ongoing 28th session on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network in its daily factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceeding
- The National Assembly met for three hour and three minutes.
- The sitting started at 1613 hours against its scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The House had a prayer break for 24 minutes.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 27 minutes.
- Seven Ministers attended the sitting.
- 42 MNAs (12%) were present at the outset and 61 (18%) at adjournment of the sitting
- The parliamentary leaders of AMLP, JI, APML, QWP and BNP-A were present.
- Seven minority members were present.
- Parliamentary Secretary for Finance presented the monitoring/implementation report on 7th National Finance Commission Award for the period January-June 2015.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two calling attention notices (CANs) about non-extension of the government hoousing schemes and delay in inauguration of Youth Internship Program.
- The House took up nine of 35 starred questions appearing on the agenda. Members asked 16 supplementary questions as well.
- Minister for Planning gave a policy statement about route of China Pak Economic Corridor and spoke for 36 minutes. Four others lawmakers including one each of PTI, QWP, JI and MQM also spoke on the issue for 17 minutes.
- The House did not discuss motion of thanks about Presidential Address to both Houses.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on nine Points of Order consuming 14 minutes of the proceeding of the House.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
To download the factsheet, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, April 5, 2021: The National Assembly was prorogued sine die on Monday amidst a lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, April 2, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up its regular agenda on Friday except question hour and was adjourned due to lack…
ISLAMABAD, April 1, 2021: The National Assembly witnessed introduction of seven private members’ bills and deferred a motion authorizing its speaker to constitute a parliamentary…