ISLAMABAD, October 7, 2015: Low attendance persisted in third sitting of the ongoing 120th session of the Senate on Wednesday as only six (5%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 34 (33%) at the time of adjournment, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily factsheet.
An adjournment motion (AM) regarding inefficiency in Nandipur Power Project was discussed for 63 minutes by three PPPP lawmakers and one lawmaker each from PTI and PML-N.
The Chair admitted an AM to discuss reported violation in western route of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC). A motion under Rule 196 (1) about CPEC was withdrawn by the mover due to similarity of its subject with an AM admitted for discussion.
The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding establishment of a special cell in Pentagon for Defense ties with India. Another CAN about VIP departures to Saudi Arabia shortly before Hajj was not taken up by the House due to movers’ absence.
A motion Under Rule 60 about a matter surfaced during answer to starred question describing criteria, qualification and procedure laid down for appointment of Chairman and Members of Royat-e-Hilal Committee was discussed. One lawmaker each from PPPP, PML-F and PML-N debated it for 15 minutes.
The House witnessed presentation of two reports on an AM regarding proposed conversion of 1400 acre land of National Agricultural Research Centre by CDA and lapse of various foreign scholarships offered by different countries for Pakistani students.
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for three hours and 11 minutes
- The sitting started at 1033 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours
- Chairman presided over the sitting for two hours and 16 minutes while rest of the proceedings were presided over by a member of Panel of Chairperson
- The Deputy Chairman was not present
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting
- The Opposition Leader was present for 59 minutes
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting
- Six (5%) senators were present at the start and 34 (33%) at the time of adjournment
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PML-F, BNP-M, PML-N, NP, PML and JUI-F were present
- Two minority members were present
- Two members applied for leave
- The House witnessed presentation of two reports on an AM regarding proposed conversion of 1400 acre land of National Agricultural Research Center by CDA and lapse of various foreign scholarships offered by different countries for Pakistani students.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Four out of the 18 starred questions appearing on the agenda were taken up. In addition, the lawmakers raised 24 supplementary questions.
- An AM regarding inefficiency in Nandipur Power Project was discussed for 63 minutes by three PPPP lawmakers and one lawmaker each from PTI and PML-N.
- The Chair admitted an AM to discuss reported violation in western route of the CPEC.
- The House took up a CAN regarding establishment of a special cell in Pentagon for Defense ties with India.
Order and Institutionalization
- Eight points of order consumed 17 minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public
To download the factsheet, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, January 21, 2020: The Senate referred back reports on two legislative proposals including the Anti-Money Laundering (Amendment) Bill, 2019 to the Standing Committee on…
ISLAMABAD, January 20, 2020: The Senate adopted four resolutions and debated ongoing wheat and flour crisis in the country, says Free and Fair Election Network…
ISLAMABAD, January 17, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and continued debate on the annual report of the National Commission on…