ISLAMABAD, September 13, 2019: The National Assembly on Friday adopted an amendment in the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business to elect more than one Standing Committee for a Ministry having more than one Division, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in the Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during first sitting of the 14th session:
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 24 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1027 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 63 (18%) were present at the outset and 79 (23%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- Parliamentary Leaders of GDA, BAP, PML-N, MMAP and MQM attended the sitting.
- As many as six out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- The House adopted an amendment in the Rule 198 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in National Assembly, 2007 to elect more than Standing Committee for a Ministry having more than one Division, where Divisions are headed by separate ministers. Earlier, motion for consideration of the amendment was passed with a majority vote as 79 lawmakers voted in its favor while no one opposed it.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs introduced six bills in the House which were referred to the relevant committees. These bills included the Superior Courts (Court Dress and Mode of Address) Order (Repeal), Bill, 2019; the Pakistan Coinage (Amendment) Bill, 2019; the Banks (Nationalization) (Amendment) Bill, 2019; the Mutual Legal Assistance (Criminal Matters) Bill, 2019; the Loans for Agricultural Commercial and Industrial Purposes (Amendment) Bill, 2019 and the Joint Maritime Information Organization Bill, 2019.
- Four Ordinances were also laid in the House which included the Pakistan Penal Code (Amendment) Ordinance, 2019; the Federal Government Employees Housing Authority Ordinance, 2019; the National Counter Terrorism Authority (Amendment) Ordinance, 2019 and the National Information Technology Board Ordinance, 2019.
- The House adopted a resolution granting extension of 120 days to the Naya Pakistan Housing and Development Authority Ordinance, 2019 with effect from September 17, 2019.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Law and Justice, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs presented reports on two legislative proposals including the Whistleblower Protection and Vigilance Commission Bill, 2019 and the Enforcement of Women’s Property Rights Bill, 2019.
- Three statutory reports and two reports each of Standing Committees on Law and Justice and Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs were not presented in the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up 11 out of 31 starred questions while lawmakers asked 23 supplementary questions as well.
- Two Calling Attention Notices appearing on the agenda were not considered.
Order and Institutionalization
- Five lawmakers spoke on points of orders for 50 minutes.
- A PML-N lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1231 hours but it was found complete upon counting.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on September 16, 2019 (Monday) at 1700 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of the lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
President Arif Alvi highlights indigenous movement of Kashmiris against Indian illegal occupation of the Valley ISLAMABAD, August 5, 2020: The Senate convened a special session…
ISLAMABAD, July 30, 2020: The National Assembly passed two government bills related to Financial Action Task Force (FATF) that contained opposition’s proposed amendments and got passage…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 30, 2020: The Senate passed two Financial Action Task Force (FATF) related bills after incorporating amendments proposed by opposition in the…