ISLAMABAD, June 21, 2016: The National Assembly approved 19 Demands for Grants of four ministries and rejected 702 Cut Motions on Tuesday during 16th sitting of 33rd session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
- The National Assembly met for seven hours and 41 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1116 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for three hours and 53 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the sitting.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition and the Finance Minister attended the entire sitting.
- 83 MNAs (24%) were present at outset and 90 (26%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, JI, PML-F, PML, BNP-A, AMLP, ANP and QWP-S attended the sitting.
- Ten minority members were present.
- The House approved four Demands for Grants of the ministry of Foreign Affairs. All of 108 Cut Motions moved by opposition were rejected. Ten lawmakers discussed these motions for an hour and 41 minutes while the Advisor to the Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs concluded the discussion in eleven minutes.
- The House approved 11 Demands for Grants of the ministry of Interior & Narcotics Control. All of 210 Cut Motions moved by opposition were rejected. Five lawmakers discussed these motions for 37 minutes while the Minister of State for Interior and Narcotics Control concluded the discussion in ten minutes.
- The House approved two Demands for Grants of the ministry of National Food Security & Research. All of 186 Cut Motions moved by opposition were rejected. Seven lawmakers discussed these motions for an hour while the Federal Minister for National Food Security & Research concluded the discussion in 16 minutes.
- The House approved two Demands for Grants of the ministry of Water & Power. All of 198 Cut Motions moved by opposition were rejected. Thirteen lawmakers discussed these motions for an hour and 37 minutes while the Minister of State for Water and Power concluded the discussion and spoke for 22 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on ten Points of Order consuming 17 minutes of the sitting.
- Entire opposition except JI and QWP-S staged token walkout against the absence of the Minister of Interior & Narcotics Control. The MQM lawmakers came back to the House after eight minutes while rest of the opposition returned after 22 minutes.
- A PTI lawmaker and an independent member pointed out the quorum twice during the sitting. However, it was found complete on both occasions.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The National Assembly passed two government bills and adopted three resolutions to extend the timeline of as many ordinances, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 28, 2020: The National Assembly left 98 percent of its agenda unaddressed on Wednesday due to the opposition’s protests, walkouts and quorum issue, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2020: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday, condemning blasphemous caricatures as well as French President Emmanuel Macron’s hateful comments…