ISLAMABAD, June 17, 2016: The National Assembly concluded the general discussion on the Budget 2016-17 on Friday during 13th sitting of the National Assembly’s 33rd session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for five hours and 36 minutes.
- The proceeding remained suspended for 37 minutes due to lack of quorum and for 50 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1106 hours against the scheduled time 1100 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for three hours and 19 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceeding.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for two hours and 38 minutes.
- The Finance Minister attended the sitting for three hours and 41 minutes.
- Thirteen Federal Ministers were present.
- 46 MNAs (12%) were present at outset and 52 (15%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, JI, PML-Z and QWP-S attended the sitting.
- Five minority members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eleven lawmakers – two belonging to PPPP and one each to PTI, PML-N, JUI-F, MQM, JI, PkMAP, QWP-S, AJIP and Independent – discussed the recommendations made by the Senate on on Budget 2016-17. The discussion consumed 78 minutes.
- Finance Minister concluded the general discussion on the Budget. His speech consumed 65 minutes.
- Five lawmakers – two belonging to PPPP, and one each to PTI, MQM and JI – debated the Charged Expenditure included in Demands for Grants and Appropriations for the financial year 2016-17. The debate consumed 72 minutes.
Order and Institutionalisation
- The lawmakers spoke on five Points of Order consuming nine minutes of the sitting.
- The proceeding remained suspended for 37 minutes due to lack of quorum pointed out by a PTI lawmaker. An Independent lawmaker also pointed out the quorum at 1418 hours but it was found complete on counting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on National Assembly website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2020: The National Assembly was prorogued sine die on Thursday amidst a lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.…
ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2020: The Majlis-e-Shoora passed eight bills on Wednesday amid protest and walkout of the Opposition, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2020: The treasury and opposition lawmakers in the National Assembly locked horns over the rule related to the suspension of sitting due…