ISLAMABAD, February 13, 2020: The National Assembly left 80 percent agenda unaddressed on Thursday and continued the debate on country’s economic situation, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during tenth sitting of the 19th session:
- The National Assembly met for three hours and 12 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1159 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for two hours and one minute, the Deputy Speaker for 29 minutes while a member of Panel of Chairpersons presided over the remaining sitting.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 99 (29%) members were present at the outset and 29 (8%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML-N, MMAP and GDA attended the sitting.
- Six out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- Tabled by the Parliamentary Leader of PML-N, the House unanimously adopted a supplementary resolution to express solidarity with China in fight against coronavirus.
- The House did not consider seven resolutions seeking extension of as many Ordinances, a government bill, a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) and a motion of thanks.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Minister for Energy responded to a CAN regarding load-shedding in two districts of Chitral.
- Five lawmakers including Minister for National Food Security and Research participated in debate on a motion under Rule 259 regarding economic condition of the country which continued for an hour and 37 minutes.
- The House took up eight out of 35 starred questions during the question hour while lawmakers asked 19 supplementary questions as well.
Order and Institutionalization
- Three lawmakers including Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs spoke on points of order for seven minutes.
- The opposition lawmakers staged a walkout from the proceedings at 1508 hours against the remarks of a PTI lawmaker about former Prime Minister. Soon after this walkout, a PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum and the Chair adjourned the House to meet again on February 14, 2020 (Friday) at 1400 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Budget Session Prorogued after PM Speech ISLAMABAD, June 30, 2020: The National Assembly concluded its budget session on Tuesday after speech of Prime Minister in…
ISLAMABAD, June 29, 2020: The Budget Session of Sindh Assembly concluded here on Monday and the last sitting transacted entire agenda appearing on `Orders of the…