ISLAMABAD, September 28, 2021: The National Assembly left 97 percent agenda unaddressed on private members’ day and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet on Tuesday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during 7th sitting of the 36th session:
- The National Assembly met for 26 minutes.
- The sitting started at 04:56 pm against the scheduled time of 04:00 pm.
- The deputy speaker presided over the entire sitting in the absence of speaker.
- The leaders of the house (Prime Minister) and the opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 58 (17 percent) lawmakers were present at the outset and 41 (12 percent) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- Five minority lawmakers were present.
- The House did not consider 17 private members’ bills, nine resolutions, three reports of standing committees and as many amendments in rules of procedure and conduct of business in National Assembly, 2007.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House did not consider five motions under Rule 259 while a calling attention notice (CAN) was deferred on mover’s request.
- Parliamentary Secretary for Federal Education and Professional responded to a CAN about conduct of classes in the universities and A-level examinations simultaneously.
- The House passed a motion for consideration of the Islamabad Capital Territory Prohibition of Corporal Punishment Bill, 2020 in joint sitting of the Parliament.
- Moved by a PPPP lawmaker, the Chair admitted an adjournment motion for debate in any of the next sitting. The motion was regarding hike in prices of petroleum products.
Order and Institutionalization
- A lawmaker belonging to PPPP pointed out the quorum at 05:22 pm which was found incomplete upon counting. It was the fifth consecutive sitting which faced quorum issue and was adjourned.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 04:00 pm.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, October 15, 2021: The National Assembly was adjourned on Friday due to lack of quorum amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and…
ISLAMABAD, October 14, 2021: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Thursday paying tributes to late nuclear scientist Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, October 4, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted entire agenda on Monday in the absence of leaders of the House and…