ISLAMABAD, March 29, 2021: The National Assembly left 96 percent of agenda unaddressed on Monday due to lack of quorum and consumed major part of the proceedings in points of order, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during first sitting of the 31st session:
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 11 minutes, however, the proceedings remained suspended for 35 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- The sitting started at 1711 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker did not attend the sitting.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 81 (23%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 85 (24%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of MQMP, BAP, MMAP and GDA attended the sitting.
- Four minority lawmakers were present.
- Advisor to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs presented the Capital Development Authority (Amendment) Ordinance, 2021.
- The House did not consider six government bills, three resolutions seeking extension of as many Ordinances, two reports of Standing Committees and as many Calling Attention Notices, an annual report of Pakistan Information Commission and a motion of thanks.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Question Hour was not observed during the sitting.
Order and Institutionalization
- Nine lawmakers and Advisors to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs and Interior spoke on Points of Order (POs) for an hour and four minutes. These POs were related to house business, imposition of taxes through Ordinance instead of Money Bill and killing of four teenage boys in Jani Khel, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- A PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1829 hours following which the Chair directed for counting and later suspended the proceedings at 1834 hours. The proceedings resumed at 1909 hours but the quorum was found incomplete and the House was adjourned to meet again on April 1, 2021 (Thursday) at 1600 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) took up its entire agenda and adopted four resolutions on Friday, observes Fee and…
ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2021: The Sindh Assembly deferred 62 percent agenda and adopted two resolutions on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…