ISLAMABAD, December 18, 2013: Opposition members staged a walkout over the alleged unparliamentary remarks of federal Interior minister during his speech on floor of the House Wednesday, says Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet based on direct observation of the proceedings of Lower House.
The MQM and JI legislators did not join the opposition\’s protest during the 10th sitting of 7th session of National Assembly.
The House took up a calling attention notice (CAN) on the mandatory condition of providing guarantor to obtain loan under the Prime Minister’s Youth Programme. However, another CAN relating to the installation of telephone towers by mobile phone companies in the residential areas was not taken up.
A PTI lawmaker pointed out quorum and the sitting had to be adjourned when it was found incomplete.
A total of 77 members, among the House of 340, were present at the outset while 68 were there at the adjournment of sitting.
The Prime Minister did not attend the proceedings while the Leader of the Opposition was there for two hours and eight minutes. Parliamentary leader of PkMAP attended the proceedings.
The House did not take up the commenced motion, under rule 259, on the prevailing law and order situation in the country.
Following are some key observations of the Parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings:
- The National Assembly met for three hours and 40 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1110 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours, witnessing a delay of 40 minutes.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and 25 minutes while the remaining proceedings were chaired by Deputy Speaker.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition remained present for two hours and eight minutes.
- The Parliamentary leader of PkMAP was present.
- Seventy-seven (77) members were present at the outset while 68 were there at the adjournment of sitting. A maximum of 160 members were observed to be present at one point of sitting.
- Seven minority members attended the sitting.
- Seven members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Ten out of 28 starred questions on agenda were taken up by the house. Additionally 19 supplementary question were also asked.
- Sponsored by PPPP legislators, the House took up one calling attention notice regarding the mandatory condition of providing guarantor to obtain loan under the Prime Minister’s Youth Programme.
Order and Institutionalization
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out quorum and the sitting was adjourned when it was found incomplete.
- MNAs spoke on 14 points of order for 57 minutes.
- Opposition members, except MQM and JI, staged a walkout over the alleged unparliamentary remarks of the federal minister for Interior.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was not available to observers and the public.
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union. This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI); a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions excepted
ISLAMABAD, June 24, 2021: The National Assembly continued general discussion on the federal budget for the financial year 2021-22 and 33 lawmakers took part in…
ISLAMABAD, June 23, 2021: The National Assembly continued general discussion on the federal budget for the year 2021-22 and 46 lawmakers took part in the…
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2021: The National Assembly continued debate on the federal budget 2021-22 and consumed 95 percent of proceedings’ time on it, observes Free…