ISLAMABAD, June 28, 2019: The National Assembly passed the Finance Bill, 2019 on Friday amidst protest of the opposition parties, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during 15th sitting of the 11th NA session:
- The House met for eight hours and eight minutes; however, it took prayer and causal breaks for a total of two hours and 39 minutes.
- The proceedings started at 1128 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 28 minutes while the rest of the proceedings was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) attended the sitting for two hours and 12 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for three hours and 16 minutes.
- A total of 88 lawmakers (26%) were present at the outset and 201 (59%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leader of PPPP, PML-N, MQM, PML, GDA, BAP, AMLP and JWP attended the sitting. BNP Parliamentary Leader was absent.
- Eight out of 10 minority lawmakers were also present during the proceedings.
- Moved by the Minister of State for Revenue, the House passed the Finance Bill, 2019 after voting along with amendments. The opposition lawmakers complained the hasty passage of the bill as they wanted to move their amendments as per Rule 131 (2) of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in National Assembly 2007. Earlier, the Chair directed to consider their amendments as `read’ instead of allowing movers to read them completely.
- The House passed a motion earlier to introduce the bill with majority vote. One hundred and seventy-six (176) lawmakers voted in its favor and 146 lawmakers against it.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Minister of State for Revenue concluded the general discussion on the Finance Bill, 2019 consuming 16 minutes of the proceedings. Earlier, 12 lawmakers spoke on it for an hour and 34 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The opposition lawmakers attended the proceedings wearing black bands on their arms to protest against the consideration of the Finance Bill and non-issuance of production orders of two detained MNAs.
- Minister of State for Revenue spoke for four minutes on a point of personal explanation and opposition lawmakers protested during his explanation.
- Two lawmakers – one each of PML-N and PPPP – spoke on points of order regarding hasty passage of the bill and neglecting Rule 131 (2) of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in National Assembly 2007.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on June 29, 2019 (Saturday) at 1100 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly’s proceedings, conducted by the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab did not consider seven resolutions appearing on the agenda and referred one private member’s bill…
ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) was adjourned early on Tuesday without addressing questions and Call Attention Notices included in the…
ISLAMABAD, February 24, 2020: The requisitioned session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab started debate on price control and law and order situation on Monday, observes Free…