ISLAMABAD, January 18, 2016: The National Assembly passed two government bills while deferred another on Monday during twelfth sitting of 28th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for three hours and 19 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1638 hours against its scheduled time of 1630 hours.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for two hours and 43 minutes while a member of the Panel of Chairpersons presided over the rest of the proceeding.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 40 minutes.
- Seven Federal Ministers attended the sitting.
- 43 MNAs (13%) were present at outset and 28 (8%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, JI, PML-Z, APML and AMLP were present.
- Seven minority members were present.
- Moved by the Minister for Climate Change, the National Assembly unanimously passed the lncome Tax (Amendment] Bill, 2015 and the lncome Tax (Second Amendment] Bill, 2015.
- The House deferred the consideration of the lncome Tax (Amendment] Bill, 2016 on request of the treasury.
- The Chairman of the Standing Committee on Government Assurances presented the Periodical Report of the Committee for the period from January, 2015 to June, 2015.
- On behalf of the Chairman of the Standing Committee on Science and Technology, a female member of the Committee presented the Periodical Report of the Committee for the period from January, 2015 to June, 2015.
- On behalf of the Chairman of the Standing Committee on Petroleum and Natural Resources, a female member of the Committee presented the Periodical Report of the Committee for the period from January, 2015 to June, 2015.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eight out of 44 starred questions appearing on agenda were orally responded on floor of the House. The members asked nine supplementary questions as well.
- The government replied to six out of nine unstarred questions appearing on agenda. The Question Hour continued for 43 minutes.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices regarding excessive use of antibiotics affecting the natural immunity system citizens and non-adherence to Standard Operating Procedures about opening Luwari Tunnel.
- Four lawmakers spoke on a motion of thanks to the President for his address to the Parliament. The discussion on the motion consumed 52 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- Twenty lawmakers spoke on Points of Order consuming 28 minutes of the proceeding. They discussed the issues relating to foreign relations, governance and business of the House.
- A lawmaker belonging to PTI pointed out the quorum at 1809 hours but it was found complete on the counting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on website of National Assembly.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, July 19, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up any agenda item on Monday and was adjourned after expressing condolence over the death…
ISLAMABAD, July 16, 2021: The National Assembly passed two government bills and adopted three resolutions to extend as many ordinances, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, July 14, 2021: The National Assembly left its entire agenda unaddressed and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election…