ISLAMABAD, September 21, 2021: The National Assembly left almost two-third agenda unaddressed on private members’ day and referred five legislative proposals to the relevant committees, observes Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet on Tuesday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during 3rd sitting of the 36th session:
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 25 minutes.
- The sitting started at 04:35 pm against the scheduled time of 04:00 pm.
- A member of panel of chairpersons presided over the entire proceedings in the absence of the speaker and deputy speaker.
- The leader of the house (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The leader of the opposition was present for 26 minutes.
- As many as 45 (13 percent) lawmakers were present at the outset and 114 (33 percent) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of BAP, MMAP, ANP and PML-N attended the proceedings.
- Six minority lawmakers were present.
- The House witnessed introduction of five private members’ bills which were the Islamabad Capital Territory Prevention of Beggary Bill, 2021; the Contractors Registration Bill, 2021; the Supreme Court (Number of Judges) (Amendment) Bill, 2021; the Zainab Alerts, Response and Recovery (Amendment) Bill, 2021 and the Benazir Income Support Programme (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- Four bills on the agenda were deferred which included the Criminal Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2021; the National Commission for Human Rights (Amendment) Bill, 2021; the Memon University Bill, 2021 and the Microfinance Institutions (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- The House did not consider the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2021 (Amendment in Article- 168) due to absence of mover.
- The House passed a motion for consideration of the Islamabad Rent Restriction (Amendment) Bill, 2020 in the joint sitting of the Parliament. Another motion for consideration of the Islamabad Capital Territory Prohibition of Corporal Punishment Bill, 2020 was deferred due to the absence of mover.
- The House did not consider eight private members’ bills, five motions under Rule 259, four resolutions, three reports of standing committees and two amendments in rules of procedure and conduct of business in National Assembly, 2007.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Minister of state for parliamentary affairs responded to a calling attention notice (CAN) regarding non-commencement of work of Kachi Canal, Phase-II.
- Another CAN on the agenda about conducting classes and A-level examinations simultaneously in the universities was not taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- Eleven lawmakers spoke on points of order for 26 minutes.
- A PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 06:00 pm but the Chair ignored it and announced to adjourn the House to meet again on Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 04:00 pm.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, October 15, 2021: The National Assembly was adjourned on Friday due to lack of quorum amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and…
ISLAMABAD, October 14, 2021: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Thursday paying tributes to late nuclear scientist Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, October 4, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted entire agenda on Monday in the absence of leaders of the House and…