ISLAMABAD, February 22, 2021: The National Assembly was adjourned on Monday due to lack of quorum amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and the Opposition, observes Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during second sitting of the 29th session:
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 33 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1634 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Forty-five (13%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 69 (20%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of MMAP, BAP and PPPP attended the sitting.
- Six minority lawmakers were present.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs laid the Special Technology Zones Authority Ordinance, 2020 and the Elections (Amendment) Ordinance, 2021.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Defence, a member of the Committee presented the report of the Committee on the Maritime Security Agency (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Law and Justice presented report of the Committee on the International Court of Justice (Review and Reconsideration) Bill, 2020.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs presented the report of the 1st Biannual Monitoring on the Implementation of NFC Award for the period of July-December, 2019.
- Ten periodical reports of as many Standing Committees were presented in the House.
- The House did not consider two government bills and as many Calling Attention Notices, a motion under Rule 259 and a motion of thanks to the President.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up 13 out of 38 starred questions while lawmakers asked 21 supplementary questions as well.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers from both sides of aisle protested for 13 minutes during the proceedings and chanted slogans against each other.
- Two lawmakers spoke on points of order for one minute.
- A PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1801 hours following which the Chair ordered for counting. The quorum was found incomplete and the House was adjourned to meet again on February 23, 2021 (Tuesday) at 1600 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, March 5, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh left most of its agenda unaddressed and adopted a supplementary resolution on Friday, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, March 5, 2021: The Punjab Assembly witnessed introduction of five government bills on Friday which were referred to the relevant committees for consideration, observes…
ISLAMABAD, March 4, 2021: The National Assembly proceeded for only five minutes on Thursday and was prorogued without taking up any agenda, observes Free and…