ISLAMABAD, August 5, 2016: The National Assembly witnessed low attendance of both treasury and opposition lawmakers in its fifth sitting of 34th session on Friday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 18 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1036 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting except for last four minutes when the Deputy Speaker chaired the proceedings.
- The Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- 33 lawmakers (9%) were present at outset while 49 (14%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- None of the parliamentary leaders except PkMAP and ANP attended the sitting.
- Seven minority members were present.
- Chairman of the Standing Committee on Water and Power presented the Periodical Report of the Committee for the period July-December, 2015.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up eight out of 34 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda. The lawmakers also asked 18 supplementary questions.
- The government responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding indecent advertisements on private T.V. channels. Another CAN about stoppage of salaries of Federal Urdu University teachers remained unaddressed due to absence of the relevant minister.
- The House did not take up Motion of Thanks to the President for his address to the Parliament.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on four Points of Order consuming as many minutes of the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, May 15, 2020: The 21st Session of National Assembly was prorogued on Friday after concluding debate on the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic…
ISLAMABAD, May 13, 2020: The members of both sides of the aisle in National Assembly continued discussion on the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic…
ISLAMABAD, May 11, 2020: The National Assembly on Monday met after a gap of around two months to discuss the situation arising out of the…