House offers prayers on demise of renowned cricketer Hanif Mohammad
ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2016: The National Assembly could not take up any agenda item appearing on the ‘List of Business’ of the House due to lack of quorum on Friday. The Speaker, Leader of the House and Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during tenth sitting of NA’s 34th session:
- The National Assembly met for an hour and five minutes.
- The sitting started at 1036 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker did not attend the sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Thirty-one lawmakers (9%) were present at outset while 80 (23%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The Parliamentary leaders of PPPP and APML attended the proceedings.
- Four minority members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up six out of 30 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda. The lawmakers also asked one Supplementary Question.
- Two Calling Attention Notices and a Motion of Thanks remained unaddressed due to early adjournment of the sitting.
Order and Institutionalization
- A PTI female lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1049 hours and on counting, 56 lawmakers were found present in the House, forcing the proceedings to remain suspended for 36 minutes. However, the House resumed its proceedings at 1136 hours when the quorum was once again pointed out and found incomplete leading to the adjournment of the House.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2021: The National Assembly left 75 percent of its agenda unaddressed and was prorogued on Thursday, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, August 11, 2021: The National Assembly was adjourned on Wednesday due to lack of quorum amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and…
ISLAMABAD, August 10, 2021: The National Assembly took up 60 percent of its agenda and referred six private members’ bills to relevant committees for deliberation,…