ISLAMABAD, August 1, 2016: The National Assembly adopted four supplementary resolutions and amended its Rules of Procedure while suspending its regular agenda on Monday during first sitting of 34th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for three hours and 47 minutes.
- The proceeding remained suspended for 21 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1728 hours against the scheduled time 1700 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Speaker announced the names for Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 30 minutes.
- 55 MNAs (16%) were present at outset and 17 (5%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, BNP-A, AMLP, JUI-F, MQM, JI, PML-F, PML-Z, ANP and QWP-S attended the sitting.
- Seven minority members were present.
- The House adopted four supplementary resolutions: to condemn Indian atrocities in Occupied Kashmir, offer tribute to deceased social worker Abdul Sattar Edhi, show solidarity with the Turkish people against coup attempt in Turkey and to condemn the killing of Qawwal Amjad Farid Sabri.
- The House adopted a motion to add new Rules after Rule 202 of National Assembly Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business giving effect to representation of Senate and the Finance Minister in Public Accounts Committee.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Moved by Federal Minister for Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit Baltistan, the House adopted a motion to suspend the regular agenda to discuss the situation in Occupied Kashmir.
- Twelve lawmakers spoke for 113 minutes on Adjournment Motions regarding Indian atrocities in Occupied Kashmir. The Adviser to Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs and Federal Minister for Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit Baltistan summed up the debate each consuming 11 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on nine Points of Order consuming 20 minutes of the sitting.
- The MQM lawmakers staged a walkout for 59 minutes against not being allowed to speak on floor of the House.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The National Assembly passed two government bills and adopted three resolutions to extend the timeline of as many ordinances, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 28, 2020: The National Assembly left 98 percent of its agenda unaddressed on Wednesday due to the opposition’s protests, walkouts and quorum issue, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2020: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday, condemning blasphemous caricatures as well as French President Emmanuel Macron’s hateful comments…