ISLAMABAD, August 3, 2016: The National Assembly took up its entire agenda on Wednesday during third sitting of 34th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for three hours and six minutes.
- The sitting started at 1038 hours against the scheduled time 1030 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Speaker was not present.
- The Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- 30 MNAs (9%) were present at outset and 28 (8%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, BNP-A, JI, JUI-F, PML-Z, ANP and QWP-S attended the sitting.
- Seven minority members were present.
- The Minister for Parliamentary Affairs laid on the Table an authenticated copy of the Address of the President of Pakistan to the Joint Sitting of the Parliament on June 1, 2016. The minister also moved the motion of thanks to the President for his address.
- Moved by Minister of State for National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination, the House adopted a motion to refer the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council Bill, 2016 as passed by the National Assembly to the Joint Sitting of the Parliament.
- Moved by Minister for Inter-Provincial Coordination, the House adopted a resolution to extend the State Life Insurance Corporation (Reorganization and Conversion) Ordinance, 2016 for a further period of 120 days with effect from August 6, 2016.
- The Parliamentary Secretary for Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization introduced the Limited Liability Partnership Bill, 2016 which was referred to the relevant standing committee.
- The House passed the Banks (Nationalization) (Amendment) Bill, 2016 and the Deposit Protection Corporation Bill, 2016 as passed by the Senate with amendments. The bills were passed by majority vote.
- Chairmen of the Standing Committees on Railways, Science & Technology and Overseas Pakistanis & Human Resources presented the Periodical Reports of their Committees for the period July -December, 2015.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up 11 out of 36 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda. The lawmakers also asked 15 supplementary questions.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices regarding rapid spread of vector-born disease in the country and Pakistani workers stranded in Saudi Arabia.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 21 Points of Order consuming 45 minutes of the sitting.
- The MQM lawmakers staged a walkout at 1153 hours against the arrest of their party’s leaders in Karachi. They did not return to the House till the adjournment of the sitting.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1219 hours but it was found complete on counting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, April 02, 2020: Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) urges the government and opposition parties to steer the country through the most critical health…
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
124 Lawmakers Participate in the Proceedings Session Cut Short by a Week due to Concerns over Coronavirus ISLAMABAD, March 13, 2020: The National Assembly passed bill…