ISLAMABAD, December 7, 2015: The National Assembly addressed almost half of its agenda appearing on ‘Orders of Day’ on Monday during first sitting of its 27th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceeding
- The National Assembly met for three hours and 55 minutes while also took 20 minutes long prayer-break
- The sitting started at 1610 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for an hour and 53 minutes
- 28 MNAs (8%) were present at outset and 32 (9%) at adjournment of the sitting
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, JI, ANP, AMLP, APML, JUI-F, PML-Z, PML-F and QWP-S were present
- Seven minority members were present
- 12 members applied for leave
- The National Assembly passed with majority vote the Pakistan Halal Authority Bill, 2015, the Publication of Laws of Pakistan Bill, 2015 and the Patents (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Law & Justice presented the report of the Standing Committee on the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
- Chairmen of Standing Committees on National Food Security & Research and Law Justice & Human Rights presented the periodic reports of their committees as well.
- On behalf of Chairman of the Standing Committee on House and Library, the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs presented the periodic report of the committee.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up seven of 23 starred questions appearing on the agenda. Members asked 13 supplementary questions as well.
- The Minister of State for National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination responded to a Calling Attention Notice regarding non-availability of any Drugs testing authority in the country.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on 17 Points of Order consuming two hours and four minutes of the proceedings.
- The Opposition parties staged a walk-out at 1805 hours against privatization of Pakistan International Airlines.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
To download the factsheet, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The National Assembly passed two government bills and adopted three resolutions to extend the timeline of as many ordinances, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 28, 2020: The National Assembly left 98 percent of its agenda unaddressed on Wednesday due to the opposition’s protests, walkouts and quorum issue, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2020: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday, condemning blasphemous caricatures as well as French President Emmanuel Macron’s hateful comments…