ISLAMABAD, February 19, 2016: The National Assembly transacted its entire business appearing on Orders of the Day on Friday during sixth sitting of 29th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours 20 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1035 hours against its scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 89 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceeding.
- The Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Ten Federal Ministers attended the sitting.
- 38 MNAs (10%) were present at outset and 45 (13%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PML-Z, QWP-S, BNP, APML and AMLP were present.
- Six minority members were present.
- The Parliamentary Secretary for Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization laid before the National Assembly the Fiscal and Debt Policy Statements for the year 2015-16.
- Moved by Federal Minister for Planning & Development, the National Assembly adopted a resolution to work for eradication of poverty and achieve Sustainable Development Goals.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The government orally responded to 12 out of 38 starred questions while the lawmakers asked 16 supplementary questions as well. The written replies of 21 out of 31 unstarred questions were also provided.
- The government replied to two Calling Attention Notices regarding delay in holding of census and irregularities of 137 billion rupees in different projects of National Highways.
- Two lawmakers spoke for 25 minutes on the motion of thanks to the President of Pakistan for his address to the Parliament last year.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on 13 points of order consuming 23 minutes of the proceeding.
- The lawmakers belonging to MQM walked out from the House at 1229 hours against increase in the prices of medicines. They did not return to the House till the adjournment of the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on website of National Assembly.
To download the factsheet in Urdu, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 22, 2021: The National Assembly left almost entire agenda unaddressed on Wednesday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 21, 2021: The National Assembly left almost two-third agenda unaddressed on private members’ day and referred five legislative proposals to the relevant committees,…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2021: The National Assembly left 95 percent agenda unaddressed on Monday amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and the Opposition,…