ISLAMABAD, July 17, 2020: The National Assembly (NA) transacted 52 percent of its agenda and concluded debate on the agricultural policy of the government, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) its Daily Factsheet on Friday.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the 7th sitting of 23rd session:
- The Assembly met for two hours and nine minutes.
- The sitting started at 1047 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 57 minutes while the remaining sitting was chaired by a member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Leaders of House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 39 lawmakers (11%) were present at the outset and 62 (18%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- As many as six out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- Minister for Energy (Power Division) introduced the Modaraba Companies and Modaraba (Floatation and Control) (Amendment) Bill, 2020 which was referred to the relevant committee for deliberations.
- The House did not consider three other government bills and four motions for consideration of as many bills in the joint sitting of the Parliament.
- Two reports of Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat and a report of Standing Committee on National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination were presented on the matters referred to them.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Three lawmakers participated in debate on the agricultural policy of the government for 23 minutes. Minister for National Food Security and Research concluded debate on this motion under Rule 259 and spoke for 16 minutes.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding removal of meters of domestic consumers by the FESCO.
- Another CAN related to retirement age of government employees remained unaddressed.
- The House took up eight out of 26 starred questions during the question hour while lawmakers also asked 20 supplementary questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- Three lawmakers spoke on points of order for eight minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on July 20, 2020 (Monday) at 1600 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, May 7, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed two government bills and concluded pre-budget discussion, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, May 7, 2021: The Punjab Assembly consumed major part of the proceeding in points of order and deferred question hour due to…
ISLAMABAD, May 7, 2021: Despite hot weather and COVID-19 associated challenges, the PP-84 Khushab-III by-election on Wednesday, May 5 witnessed improved election management and an…