ISLAMABAD, January 7, 2016: The National Assembly transacted its entire business amidst protests and low attendance during fifth sitting of 28th session on Wednesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 51 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1036 hours against its scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Prime Minister was not present.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 62 minutes.
- 23 MNAs (7%) were present at outset and 43 (13%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PML, PML-Z, BNP, APML and PML-F were present.
- Eight minority members were present.
- Sixteen members applied for leave.
- The Chairman Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat presented the report of the committee on the Pakistan Bait-ul-Mal (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up seven out of 29 starred questions appearing on the agenda. The Members also asked 12 supplementary questions.
- The Minister for Parliamentary Affairs responded to two Calling Attention Notices regarding non-completion of work of Fish Harbour at Gaddani Lasbela and non-approval of the PC-I of 7th Secondary Transmission Grid (STG) plan of Peshawar Electric Supply Company (PESCO).
- A lawmaker belonging to MQM spoke on the motion of thanks about the Presidential address for 9 minutes.
- The House, through a single motion, elected 19 members of the Standing Committee on Human Rights.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on 13 Points of Order consuming 40 minutes of the proceeding.
- The entire opposition and members belonging to PkMAP and JUI-F staged a walk-out at 1125 hours against the executive for not replying to the questions submitted by PkMAP MNAs as well as for providing wrong information in response to a question.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1128 hours and the proceeding of the House was suspended at 1130 hours after counting.
- The proceeding resumed at 1148 hours with the return of opposition lawmakers to the House. However, members belonging to JUI-F did not return for rest of the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on website of National Assembly.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, October 23, 2020: The National Assembly was adjourned on Friday without taking up any of the agenda item as the government could not manage to…
ISLAMABAD, October 20, 2020: The National Assembly passed three private members’ bills and referred 13 other legislative proposals to the relevant standing committees amid opposition’s…