ISLAMABAD, June 11, 2020: The National Assembly approved the Motion of Thanks expressing gratitude to the President of Pakistan for his address to both Houses assembled together on September 12, 2019, says Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet on Thursday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during fourth sitting of the 22nd session:
- The National Assembly met for three hours and 54 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1111 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire proceedings in the absence of Speaker.
- As many as 19 lawmakers (6%) were present at the outset and 16 (5%) at the adjournment of sitting. As per SOPs, 46 lawmakers of the government and 40 members of the opposition parties would attend each sitting during the ongoing budget session while the overall attendance to be marked at the main gate of the National Assembly.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, BAP and MMAP attended the sitting.
- Three minority lawmakers were present.
- Adviser to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs introduced the Hyderabad Institute for Technical and Management Sciences Bill, 2020. It was referred to the relevant committee for further consideration.
- Parliamentary Secretary for Finance presented reports of 1st Biannual Monitoring on the Implementation of National Finance Commission (NFC) Award (July-December, 2018) and 2nd Biannual Monitoring on the implementation of NFC Award (January-June, 2019).
Representation and Responsiveness
- Minister for National Food Security and Research gave policy statement during his 13 minutes speech about the policy of the government to control locust.
- Twelve lawmakers spoke on the presidential address for two hours and 40 minutes. However, they highlighted issues related to COVID-19, politics, health, governance and economy during this speeches. Adviser to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs concluded debate on it and spoke for 32 minutes.
- Later, the House accepted the Motion of Thanks expressing deep gratitude to the President of Pakistan for his address to both Houses assembled together on September 12, 2019.
Order and Institutionalization
- Two lawmakers spoke on points of order for three minutes while Advisor to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs spoke on a point of personal explanation for one minute.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on June 12, 2020 (Friday) at 1600 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, November 24, 2021: The Sindh Assembly left its entire agenda unaddressed except question hour on Wednesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, November 23, 2021: The Punjab Assembly passed four private members’ bills and adopted two resolutions on Tuesday, observes Free and Fair Election…