ISLAMABAD, July 16, 2020: The National Assembly left most of its agenda unaddressed and continued debate on the agricultural policy of the government, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) its Daily Factsheet on Thursday.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the 6th sitting of 23rd session:
- The Assembly met for six hours and 16 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1134 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 59 minutes while the remaining sitting was chaired by a member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Speaker was not present.
- The Leaders of House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 61 lawmakers (18%) were present at the outset and 66 (19%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP and ANP attended the sitting.
- As many as six out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- The House did not consider the legislative agenda and four motions for consideration of as many bills in the joint sitting of the Parliament.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eighteen lawmakers participated in debate on the agricultural policy of the government and spoke on it for two hours and 59 minutes.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices regarding overload on three grid stations of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and non-existence of regional office of SNGPL in Dera lsmail Khan.
- An adjournment motion regarding increase in prices of petroleum products was disposed of as the mover did not press for it.
- The House took up ten out of 56 questions during the question hour while lawmakers also asked 22 supplementary questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- Fourteen lawmakers including Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs spoke on points of order for 45 minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on July 17, 2020 (Friday) at 1030 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, May 7, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed two government bills and concluded pre-budget discussion, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, May 7, 2021: The Punjab Assembly consumed major part of the proceeding in points of order and deferred question hour due to…
ISLAMABAD, May 7, 2021: Despite hot weather and COVID-19 associated challenges, the PP-84 Khushab-III by-election on Wednesday, May 5 witnessed improved election management and an…