ISLAMABAD, Nov 11, 2013: Starting an hour an 45 minutes behind schedule, the sixth sitting of the sixth session of National Assembly continued its debate on the recent Drone attacks in North Waziristan, says Free and Fair Election Network in its daily factsheet based on direct observation of the Lower House.
Nine Members of the Parliament, including Federal Interior Minister, spoke on the Motion for about two hours and 15 minutes.
The Federal Employees Benevolent Fund and Group Insurance (Amendment) Bill, 2013 was introduced by Minister for State and Parliamentary Affairs. The House didn’t take up the Question Hour and no Points of Order were raised.
Only 69 Members were there at the outset while 32 at the adjournment. At one point a maximum of 127 Members were present in the House.
Except for MQM, the Parliamentary Party leaders of all the political parties were present in the House. No other Chief Whip except PMLN’s was present in the House.
The Leader of the Opposition remained present for two hours and 20 minutes; however, the Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
The Speaker chaired the sitting while four Minority Members were present in the House.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 23 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1745 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours, witnessing a delay of one hour and 45 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition remained there for two hours and 20 minutes.
- All the parliamentary leaders except MQM were present during the sitting.
- Sixty-nine Members (20% of the total current membership – 340) were present at the outset while 32 (9%) were there at the adjournment. A maximum of 127 Members were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
- Four Minority Members attended the sitting.
- A total of 16 members applied for leave.
- The Federal Employees Benevolent Fund and Group Insurance (Amendment) Bill, 2013 was introduced.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Nine Members spoke on the Motion under Rule 259 about the recent drone attacks in North Waziristan Agency for two hours and 15 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- No Points of Order were raised during the sitting
- There were no instances of protests, boycott, or walkouts during the sitting.
- Orders of the Day were available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was not available to observers and the public.
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union. This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI); a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions excepted.
ISLAMABAD, April 02, 2020: Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) urges the government and opposition parties to steer the country through the most critical health…
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
124 Lawmakers Participate in the Proceedings Session Cut Short by a Week due to Concerns over Coronavirus ISLAMABAD, March 13, 2020: The National Assembly passed bill…