ISLAMABAD, February 11, 2020: The National Assembly debated the country’s economic situation on Tuesday amid uproar in the House, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during eighth sitting of the 19th session:
- The National Assembly met for four hours and 46 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1626 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for two hours and three minutes while rest of the sitting was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 33 (10%) members were present at the outset and 36 (11%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML-N, MMAP, PML and ANP attended the sitting.
- Seven out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs presented the Fiscal and Debt Policy Statements for the year 2019-2020.
- The House did not consider legislative business, two Calling Attention Notices and a motion of thanks.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eight lawmakers including the Ministers for Economic Affairs Division and Communications participated in debate on a motion under Rule 259 regarding economic condition of the country which continued for three hours and 30 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House witnessed uproar from both sides of aisle during speeches of first five lawmakers on economic situation.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on February 12, 2020 (Wednesday) at 1100 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, January 18, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted most of its agenda on Monday and passed three government bills, observes Free…
Senate Discusses Economic Situation, Gilgit-Baltistan Elections Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, January 18, 2021: The Senate on Monday discussed economic situation of the country and recently held…