ISLAMABAD, October 30, 2018: The National Assembly debated the country’s economic situation on Tuesday amidst opposition parties’ walkout from the proceedings, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the second sitting of 4th session:
- The National Assembly met for four hours and 37 minutes.
- The proceedings remained suspended for 49 minutes due to prayer break and 50 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- The sitting started at 1050 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting in the absence of the Speaker.
- The Leader of House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of Opposition Leader attended the sitting for 19 minutes. He was released from National Accountability Bureau’s custody to attend the sitting on production orders issued by the Speaker.
- As many as 70 lawmakers (20%) were present at outset and 24 (7%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, GDA, MMAP, MQM, PPPP and PML attended the sitting.
- As many as five out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Minister for Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs inaugurated the debate on a motion under Rule 259 regarding economic condition of the country. As many as 14 lawmakers – PTI (7), BNP (3), MMAP, PPPP, PML-N and MQM (one each) – participated in the debate that continued for two hours and 12 minutes.
- The House did not take up two Calling Attention Notices appearing on the agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised 17 points of order consuming 46 minutes.
- A PML-N lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1056 hours which led to the suspension of the proceedings for 50 minutes.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out the quorum again at 1412 hours but it was found complete upon headcount.
- The opposition lawmakers walked out from the proceedings at 1411 hours against the absence of Minister for Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs during the debate on economic conditions. They did not return to the House till adjournment of the sitting.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on October 31, 2018 (Wednesday) at 1100 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up any agenda item on Monday except question hour due to lack of quorum, observes…
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up any agenda item on Friday due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, September 22, 2021: The National Assembly left almost entire agenda unaddressed on Wednesday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and…