ISLAMABAD, September 30, 2019: The National Assembly transacted most of its agenda on Monday and passed two government bills, observers Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during first sitting of the 15th session:
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 45 minutes; however, the proceedings remained suspended 32 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1727 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker has been de-seated following decision of an election tribunal of the Balochistan High Court. As per Rule 11 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in National Assembly 2007, an election to the vacant office of Speaker of Deputy Speaker will be held as soon as possible during the session if the Assembly is in session and at commencement of its next session if the Assembly is not in session.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Opposition Leader was present for an hour and 34 minutes.
- As many as 72 (21%) were present at the outset and 113 (33%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of GDA, PML-N and BAP attended the sitting.
- Six out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- Introduced by the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, the House passed the Foreign Exchange Regulation (Amendment) Bill, 2019 and the Anti-Money Laundering (Amendment) Bill, 2019.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat presented report of the Committee on the Naya Pakistan Housing and Development Authority Bill, 2019. .
- The House witnessed presentation of ten periodical reports of as may Standing Committees for the period January- June, 2019.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Parliamentary Secretary for National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding outbreak of dengue fever in Islamabad Capital Territory.
- The House did not consider another CAN and a motion of thanks on the agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- Eight lawmakers including Ministers for Communications, Defense, Interior, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, the Opposition Leader, a PPPP and two Independent members spoke on points of order for an hour and 26 minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on October 1, 2019 (Tuesday) at 1100 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of the lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab did not consider seven resolutions appearing on the agenda and referred one private member’s bill…
ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) was adjourned early on Tuesday without addressing questions and Call Attention Notices included in the…
ISLAMABAD, February 24, 2020: The requisitioned session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab started debate on price control and law and order situation on Monday, observes Free…