ISLAMABAD, July 21, 2020: The National Assembly left its entire agenda unaddressed on the Private Members’ Day and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Tuesday.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the 9th sitting of 23rd session:
- The Assembly met for an hour and 22 minutes. However, the proceedings remained suspended for 16 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1646 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting in the absence of Speaker.
- The Leaders of House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- The Parliamentary Leader of PML-N and PPPP attended the sitting.
- As many as 81 lawmakers (24%) were present at the outset and 59 (17%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- Five out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- The House left the entire agenda unaddressed on the Private Members’ Day which included consideration of 25 bills, five motions under Rule 259, four resolutions, two Calling Attention Notices, a report of Standing Committee on Information and Broadcasting and amendments to the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in National Assembly, 2007.
Order and Institutionalization
- Thirteen lawmakers spoke on points of order for 36 minutes.
- The House observed silence for one minute to pay tribute to a social worker sister Ruth Lois who recently passed away due to COVID-19.
- The entire opposition walked out of the House for five minutes against the alleged abduction of a journalist from Islamabad.
- A PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1751 hours when the Chair gave the floor to the Minister for Communications to speak on a point of order. The Chair ordered the count and had to adjourn the sitting at 1808 hours due to lack of quorum.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on July 23, 2020 (Thursday) at 1100 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 22, 2021: The National Assembly left almost entire agenda unaddressed on Wednesday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 21, 2021: The Sindh Assembly left entire agenda unaddressed on Tuesday and unanimously adopted a resolution to pay tribute to Hazrat Shah Abdul…
ISLAMABAD, September 21, 2021: The National Assembly left almost two-third agenda unaddressed on private members’ day and referred five legislative proposals to the relevant committees,…