- Session Prorogued
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2020: The National Assembly passed the University of Islamabad Bill, 2019 and was prorogued on Wednesday after transacting half of its agenda, observes Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during eleventh sitting of the 18th session:
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 52 minutes; however, the proceedings remained suspended for 50 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1153 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 91 (27%) members were present at the outset and 95 (28%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML, GDA and PPPP attended the sitting.
- Six out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- Tabled by the Parliamentary Secretary for Education, the House passed the University of Islamabad Bill, 2019.
- Another bill – the Federal Public Service Commission (Validation of Rules) Bill, 2019 – was deferred.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up 13 out of 30 starred questions while lawmakers asked 26 supplementary questions as well.
- A motion of thanks expressing gratitude to the President for his address to Parliament was not taken up.
- Minister for Maritime Affairs responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding delay in construction of 45 KM Bridge to connect Karachi Port with Port Qasim.
- Another CAN regarding increase in polio cases across the country was not taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as seven lawmakers including Minister for Aviation Division and State Minister for Climate Change spoke on points of order for 19 minutes.
- The Session was prorogued sine die.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of the lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 17, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and continued debate on the annual report of the National Commission on…
ISLAMABAD, January 14, 2020: The exchange of hot words between the treasury and the opposition benches ultimately led to the early adjournment of National Assembly…
ISLAMABAD, January 14, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed two government bills concerning the vagrancy and protection of women against harassment at workplaces…