ISLAMABAD, March 17, 2016: The National Assembly passed four government bills on Thursday during 4th sitting of ongoing 30th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The National Assembly addressed its entire agenda and also adopted a resolution appearing as supplementary business to extend the Private Power and Infrastructure Board (Amendment) Ordinance, 2015 for a further period of 120 days.
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 38 minutes.
- The sitting started two minutes late against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 73 minutes while rest of the proceeding was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 21 minutes.
- Nine Federal Ministers were present.
- 36 MNAs (11%) were present at outset and 28 (8%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, QWP, ANP and JI were present.
- Eight minority members were present.
- Introduced by Parliamentary Secretary for Finance, the House passed the Corporate Restructuring Companies Bill 2015; the Financial Institutions (Recovery of Finances) (Amendment) Bill 2015; the Deposit Protection Corporation Bill, 2015 and the Financial Institutions (Secured Transactions) Bill 2016.
- The House adopted a resolution appearing as supplementary business to extend the Private Power and Infrastructure Board (Amendment) Ordinance, 2015 for a further period of 120 days.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The government orally replied to nine out of 41 starred questions appearing on the agenda. The lawmakers asked 17 supplementary questions as well.
- The government responded to two Calling Attention Notices regarding dilapidated condition of Islamabad Inter Junction Principal (IJP) road from Faizabad to Pirwadhai and difficulties being faced by the people due to use of sub-standard material in Chakdara-Mangora road.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 17 points of order consuming 37 minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, May 15, 2020: The 21st Session of National Assembly was prorogued on Friday after concluding debate on the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic…
ISLAMABAD, May 13, 2020: The members of both sides of the aisle in National Assembly continued discussion on the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic…
ISLAMABAD, May 11, 2020: The National Assembly on Monday met after a gap of around two months to discuss the situation arising out of the…