ISLAMABAD, February 23, 2021: The National Assembly passed three private members’ bills and referred eight other bills to the relevant committees for consideration, observes Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet on Tuesday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during third sitting of the 29th session:
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 28 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1640 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 16 minutes while the remaining sitting was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Forty-three (13%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 71 (21%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- Only the parliamentary leader of PPPP attended the sitting.
- Five minority lawmakers were present.
- The House passed three private members’ bills which included the Islamabad Capital Territory Prohibition of Corporal Punishment Bill, 2020; the Islamabad Capital Territory Prohibition of Interest on Private loans, 2020 and the Al-Karam International Institute Bill, 2020.
- Eight private members’ bills were referred to the relevant committees which were the Safe Milk and Dairy Bill, 2021; the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2021]. (Articles- 51 and 59); the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2021 (Section 277 and Schedule-II); the Islamabad Poultry Production Regulation Bill, 2021; the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2021 (Insertion of Article11A); the Islamabad Bee-Keeping and Honey Board Bill, 2021; the Compulsory Teaching of Arabic Language Bill, 2021 and the Unani, Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic Practitioners (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
- Ten private members’ bills were deferred which included the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2021 (Amendment in Articles- 1, 51 and106); the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2021 (Amendment in Article-84); the Trade Organizations (Amendment) Bill, 2021; the Children (Pledging of Labour) (Amendment) Bill, 2021; the Code of Criminal Procedure (Amendment) Bill, 2021; the Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2021; the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2021 (Section- 489F and Schedule- II); the Recusant Witnesses (Repeal) Bill, 2021; the West Pakistan Pure Food (Amendment) Bill, 2021 and the Regulation of Generation, Transmission and Distribution of Electric Power (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
- A bill – the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2021 (Insertion of Article-35A) – was withdrawn by its mover.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Law and Justice, a member of the Committee presented report of the Committee on the Islamabad Capital Territory Prohibition of Corporal Punishment Bill, 2020.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Federal Education, Professional Training, National Heritage and Culture presented report of the Standing Committee on the Ibadat International University, Islamabad Bill, 2021.
- The House did not consider 41 reports of the Standing Committees, six resolutions, five motions under rule 259, three amendments in the rules of procedures and conduct of business in National Assembly 2007, two calling attention notices, one private member’s bill and a motion under Rule 259.
Order and Institutionalization
- The treasury and opposition lawmakers, carrying placards in their hands, stood in front of each other at 1656 hours following which Chair suspended the proceedings for 18 minutes.
- An Independent lawmaker spoke on a point of order for one minute.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on February 26, 2021 (Friday) at 1100 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly discussed law and order, increase in prices of petroleum products and challenges after drought in…
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted one-fourth of its agenda and was adjourned earlier without considering legislative business, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up its regular business and consumed major part of the proceeding in points of order…