ISLAMABAD, July 10, 2020: The National Assembly addressed its entire agenda on Friday and discussed agriculture and tourism related issues through points of order, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the 3rd sitting of 23rd session:
- The Assembly met for an hour and eight minutes.
- The sitting started at 1122 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Leaders of House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 44 lawmakers (13%) were present at the outset and 76 (22%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of GDA and PPPP attended the sitting.
- As many as five out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- A PPPP lawmaker having membership in Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs and Law and Justice presented reports on the Loans for Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial Purposes (Amendment) Bill, 2019 and the Code of Civil Procedure (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
- Six periodical reports of Standing Committees on Climate Change, Public Accounts Committee, Defence Production, Human Rights, National Food Security and Research and Government Assurances were presented in the House for the period of January – June, 2019 as required by rule 234-A of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the National Assembly, 2007.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Minister for Energy (Power Division) responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding charging of enormous electricity bills from tube well consumers despite providing them subsidy.
- Another CAN about increase in the AIDS related deaths in the country due to late diagnosis was responded to by the Parliamentary Secretary for Health.
Order and Institutionalization
- Six lawmakers including Ministers for Energy (Power Division) and State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs spoke for 20 minutes on points of order related to agriculture, tourism and non-payment of salaries to media persons.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on July 13, 2020 (Monday) at 1600 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, September 22, 2021: The National Assembly left almost entire agenda unaddressed on Wednesday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 21, 2021: The Sindh Assembly left entire agenda unaddressed on Tuesday and unanimously adopted a resolution to pay tribute to Hazrat Shah Abdul…
ISLAMABAD, September 21, 2021: The National Assembly left almost two-third agenda unaddressed on private members’ day and referred five legislative proposals to the relevant committees,…