ISLAMABAD, June 27, 2013: The National Assembly passed the Finance Bill 2013 during the 12th sitting of the second session on Thursday, reports FAFEN in its daily factsheet based on the direct observation of the assembly proceedings. It is the first budget of the newly formed government.
Ten members shared their views about the Finance Bill for 84 minutes. Concluding the debate, the Finance Minister spoke for 25 minutes.
The House also approved the supplementary Demands for Grants and appropriations for the year 2012-13.
Starting 35 minutes late, the sitting lasted seven hours and 28 minutes. As many as 101 members were present at the outset while 78 were there at the time of adjournment. A maximum of 218 members were present at one time during any point of the sitting.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for seven hours and 28 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1135 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1100 hours, witnessing the delay of 35 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for five hours and 31 minutes, the Deputy Speaker for 50 minutes while the rest of the proceedings were presided over by a member of the Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for six hours and 58 minutes.
- The Finance Minister attended the proceedings for four hours and 58 minutes.
- As many as 101 members were present at the outset while 78 were there at the time of adjournment. A maximum of 218 members were present at one time during any point of the sitting.
- Eight minority members attended the sitting.
- Ten members applied for leave.
- A PMLN lawmaker on the women reserved seat took oath.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Two Calling Attention Notices appearing on the agenda were not taken up.
- The House offered Fateha for the victims of terrorism and target killing.
- The House passed the Finance Bill 2013.
- Ten members shared their views about the Finance Bill for 84 minutes. The Finance Minister concluded the debate and spoke for 25 minutes.
- The House also approved supplementary Demands for Grants and appropriations for the year 2012-13.
Order and Institutionalization
- Nineteen Points of Order consumed an hour and 48 minutes of the sitting time.
- As the mike of an MQM legislator speaking on a point of order was turned off, the party’s MNAs staged a protest which lasted for four minutes.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI); a member organization of FAFEN
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The National Assembly passed two government bills and adopted three resolutions to extend the timeline of as many ordinances, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 28, 2020: The National Assembly left 98 percent of its agenda unaddressed on Wednesday due to the opposition’s protests, walkouts and quorum issue, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2020: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday, condemning blasphemous caricatures as well as French President Emmanuel Macron’s hateful comments…