ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2015: The Sindh Assembly continued discussion on the Provincial Budget 2015-16 on Monday, as nine lawmakers took part in it for 191 minutes (69% of the proceedings’ time), reports Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
The sitting started 70 minutes behind the schedule with 24 members (14%) present at the start and 56 (33%) at the time of adjournment. The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting while the Opposition Leader was present for almost half of the sitting.
Nine lawmakers – five belonging to PPPP and four to MQM – spoke on the budgetary proposals for 191 minutes.
MQM lawmakers protested against the remarks of Provincial Minister for Katchi Abadies & Spatial Development for eight minutes. Later, they walked out of the House for 11 minutes when their colleague was not allowed to respond to the remarks of the provincial minister.
Following are some key observations of the assembly business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for four hours and 36 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1110 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- 24 members (14%) were present at the start while 56 (33%) at the end of the proceedings.
- A maximum of 57 members (34%) were present at one point of the sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for two hours and 36 minutes while the Deputy Speaker presided over the remaining proceedings.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Opposition Leader was present for two hours and 16 minutes.
- The Finance Minister attended the entire sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of MQM, PPP, PML-F and PTI were present.
- Five non-Muslim members were present.
- Two members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Nine lawmakers – five belonging to PPPP and four to MQM – spoke on the budget that took up 69% (191 minutes) of the proceedings’ time.
Order and Institutionalization
- Nine points of order consumed 13 minutes of the sitting.
- MQM lawmakers protested against the remarks of Provincial Minister for Katchi Abadies & Spatial Development for eight minutes.
- MQM legislators walked out of the House for 11 minutes when one of their colleagues was not allowed to respond to the remarks of the provincial minister.
- A PML-F lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1304 hours, however, it was found complete upon counting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the members, observers and the public.
- Information on members’ attendance was available to the observers and the public.
To download the document, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, April 22, 2021: The Sindh Assembly on Thursday took up its entire agenda and passed two government bills, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
ISLAMABAD, April 21, 2021: The Sindh Assembly was adjourned on Wednesday without taking up any agenda item except question hour due to exchange of harsh…
Session Prorogued for an Indefinite Period ISLAMABAD, March 29, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed three government bills and took up three Call Attention…