ISLAMABAD, December 26, 2012: Meeting for 84 minutes, the 4th sitting of the ongoing 36th session of the Balochistan Assembly adopted a no-confidence motion against the Speaker of the Balochistan Assembly by a majority vote.
As many as 49 MPAs -75% of the total membership- voted on the motion. The Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting. The Chief Minister was present throughout the proceedings, whereas the newly appointed Leader of the Opposition along with PPP and independant MPAs left the house protesting against the no-confidence motion.
The parliamentary leaders of BNPA, ANP, PMLQ and JUI were also present during the sitting.
Members’ participation in House proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for an hour and 24 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1150 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1100 hours. The proceedings started 50 minutes late.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting.
- The Chief Minister attended the entire sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of JUI (Ideological), Like Minded Group, National Party and PMLN did not attend the sitting.
- Forty-two (72%) members were present at the outset while 48 (73%) were there at the adjournment. A maximum 51 members were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
- Three minorities attended the sitting.
- A no-confidence motion against the Speaker of the Balochistan Assembly was adopted by the House.
Order and Institutionalization
- One point of order was raised during the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition along with a PPPP legislator staged a walked out of the House protesting against the no confidence motion.
- Orders of the day were available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a Member organization of FAFEN.
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan continued debate on the provincial annual budget for the financial year 2021-2022 amid absence of opposition lawmakers,…
ISLAMABAD, June 21, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan started debate on the provincial annual budget for the financial year 2021-2022, observes Free and Fair Election…
SLAMABAD, June 18, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan witnessed the presentation of Provincial Annual Budget for the Financial Year 2021-2022 and the Supplementary Budget for…