ISLAMABAD, May 2, 2018: The Opposition walked out from the Senate proceedings on Wednesday to protest against the absence of Federal and State Ministers for Finance during budget debate, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of 3rd sitting of 277th session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 38 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1502 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House was present for an hour and 35 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for an hour and 58 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PTI, PPPP, ANP and PML-F were present.
- Sixteen members (15% of the total membership) were present at the outset and eight (7%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Seven Senators participated in the debate on Finance Bill, 2018 consuming two hours and 23 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The Opposition walked outfrom the Senate proceedings at 1739 to protest against the absence of Federal and State Ministers for Finance during budget debate. The Chairman adjourned the House after one minute of this walkout to meet again on May 3, 2018 at 1500 hours.
- A Point of Order consumed four minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The Senate on Thursday discussed the recent bomb attack on a religious school in Peshawar while leaving half of…
ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2020: The Senate passed three private members’ bills on Monday and adopted a resolution to condemn comments of French President Emmanuel Macron…
ISLAMABAD, October 23, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and consumed almost one third of the proceedings in points of public…