ISLAMABAD, October 1, 2019: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly was adjourned early on Tuesday without addressing most of its regular business due to walkout by the opposition parties, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in the Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings during 10th sitting of eighth session:
- The Assembly met for 49 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1415 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting in the absence of Speaker.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for 35 minutes.
- Fifty-nine legislators (41%) were present at the outset and 39 (27%) at the end of the sitting.
- Only the parliamentary leader of PPPP attended the proceedings.
- Three out of four minority lawmakers were present.
- Minister for Law introduced the KP Promotion, Protection and Enforcement of Human Rights (Amendment) Bill, 2019 in the House.
- The remaining agenda including two Calling Attention Notices, discussion on a question related to Sports, Culture Department and Provincial resources and allocation of funds to ongoing schemes in the Province were lapsed due to Opposition’s walkout.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up three out of 16 starred questions while the remaining questions lapsed due to walkout by the Opposition. In addition, the lawmakers asked three supplementary questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as three lawmakers spoke on Points of Order consuming five minutes of the proceedings.
- The entire opposition staged a walkout from the proceedings against the Chair’s attitude who did not refer a question of PPPP lawmaker to the concerned committee.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on October 4, 2019 (Friday) at 1000 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the KP Assembly proceeding conducted by United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) discussed state of the education in the Province and witnessed introduction of a…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and consumed 43 percent of the proceedings’ time in debate on matters…