ISLAMABAD, December 4, 2013: Starting 100 minutes late, the 4th sitting of the ongoing 5th Punjab Assembly session was marked by low attendance of MPAs as only 73 of them were present at the start of proceedings while 24 were there at the adjournment, says Free and Fair Election Network in its daily Factsheet.
The opposition benches continued their protest over the drone attacks and walked out from the House for two hours and 45 minutes.
Five MPAs – two PML-N, one each of PTI, JI and an Independent – expressed their views on law and order which consumed an hour and 15 minutes of the proceedings.
The Chief Minister remained absent while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 30 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings:
- The Punjab Assembly met for four hours and 20 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1140 hours against the schedule time of 1000 hours, witnessing a delay of an hour and 40 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for four hours and 12 minutes while the remaining sitting time was presided over by a PML-N Member.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 30 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP and JI attended the sitting.
- Seventy-three MPAs were present at the outset of proceeding while 24 were at the adjournment of the sitting. A maximum of 111 Members were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
- Four Minority Members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eight of the 29 Starred questions on the agenda were taken up and responded to by the relevant ministry. Additionally, 17 supplementary questions were asked.
- Tabled by PML-N Members, two Adjournment Motions regarding steroids sale under the cover of herbal medicines causing health problems and deterioration of Allama Iqbal’s residency were taken up by the House.
- Five MPAs – two PML-N, one each of PTI, JI and an Independent – expressed their views on law and order in the country that consumed an hour and 15 minutes of the proceedings.
Order and Institutionalization
- MPAs raised seven Points of Order during the sitting which consumed 15 minutes. None of the Points of Order raised attracted the Chair’s formal ruling.
- The opposition benches continued their protest over the drone attacks. Their walkout lasted two hours and 45 minutes.
- Orders of the Day were available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization, a member organization of FAFEN
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab did not consider seven resolutions appearing on the agenda and referred one private member’s bill…
ISLAMABAD, February 24, 2020: The requisitioned session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab started debate on price control and law and order situation on Monday, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, February 21, 2020: The requisitioned session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab could not start debate on price control and law and order situation due to…