ISLAMABAD, August 25, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) discussed power crisis in the province and consumed 40 percent of its sitting’s time on points of order, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 1st sitting of the 13th session:
- The House met for three hours and 20 minutes. However, the proceedings remained suspended for 35 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1530 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 45 (31%) legislators were present at the start and 50 (34%) at the end of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of ANP, PML-N, MMAP, PPPP and PML attended the sitting.
- Two minority members were present in the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two Call Attention Notices regarding illegal appointment of Nursing Director at Khyber Teaching Hospital and closure of Muktab Schools.
- The Chair referred a Privilege Motion of an MMAP lawmaker to the relevant Committee.
- Two lawmakers – one each of PTI and ANP – spoke on power crisis in the province for 30 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- Fifteen lawmakers spoke on points of public importance for an hour and 20 minutes.
- The opposition protested during the proceedings for 15 minutes when the chair did not allow its lawmakers to speak on power crisis.
- Women lawmakers walked out from the House for eight minutes against the gender discrimination in Public Account Committee.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on August 31, 2020 (Monday) at 1500 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the KP Assembly proceeding conducted by United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, October 23, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and consumed almost one third of the proceedings in points of public…
ISLAMABAD, October 23, 2020: The National Assembly was adjourned on Friday without taking up any of the agenda item as the government could not manage to…
ISLAMABAD, October 22, 2020: The Senate deferred debate regarding hike in prices of medicines, electricity and basic food items and consumed major part of the…