ISLAMABAD, June 17, 2016: The Senate consumed more than three-fifth of sitting’s time on Points of Pubic Importance during 12th (last) sitting of its 249th session on Friday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for 103 minutes.
- The sitting started two minutes late against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Chairman chaired the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for 91 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 58 minutes.
- Finance Minister attended the sitting for 15 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PTI, PML-F, BNP-M, PML, PPPP, PkMAP, MQM and PML-N attended the sitting.
- Thirteen members (12% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 38 members (37%) at the end of the sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- The House passed the Deposit Protection Corporation Bill, 2016 and the National Energy Efficiency and Conservation Bill, 2016. Earlier, the House witnessed presentation of report on the National Energy Efficiency and Conservation Bill, 2016.
- Another government bill – the Fiscal Responsibility and Debt Limitation (Amendment) Bill, 2016 – was withdrawn. .
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House passed a motion under Rule 172A for constituting itself into a Committee of the Whole to prepare policy guidelines in the light of emerging regional realities and the role of United States.
- The House did not take up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) regarding blockage of almost 400,000 web links by Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) and the job security to teachers and employees of Colony Boards and T& T Colony Harripur.
Order and Institutionalization
- Thirty-four Points of Public Importance consumed 63 minutes (61%) of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, October 20, 2020: The Senate sitting was adjourned on Tuesday amid lack of quorum and opposition’s walkout from the proceedings, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, October 19, 2020: The Senate left its entire agenda unaddressed on Private Members’ Day and consumed major portion of the proceedings in debate on political…
ISLAMABAD, October 16, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and discussed political situation in the country through points of public importance, observes Free…