ISLAMABAD, September 12, 2019: The President of Pakistan Dr. Arif Alvi addressed both Houses of the Parliament assembled together on beginning of the second parliamentary year of the National Assembly amidst opposition’s protest against the government on Thursday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The joint session lasted an hour and three minutes.
- The sitting started at 1720 hours against the scheduled time of 1700 hours.
- The proceedings started with the national anthem followed by the recitation of the Holy Quran and Na’at.
- The sitting was chaired by the National Assembly Speaker.
- The Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly was also present.
- The Senate Chairman attended the sitting while the Deputy Chairman Senate was also present.
- The Prime Minister attended the entire sitting.
- The National Assembly’s Opposition Leader was present for 53 minutes.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition in the Senate attended the entire sitting.
- Three hundred and sixty lawmakers (81% of the total membership – 446) were present at the start of the sitting and 371 (83%) at the time of adjournment.
- The parliamentary leaders of JI, JUI-F, PkMAP, BNP-M, ANP, PML-N, PPPP and NP in the Senate were present.
- The parliamentary leaders of MMA, MQM, AMLP, BAP, PML-N and GDA in the National Assembly were present.
- Seven minority lawmakers in the National Assembly and two in Senate attended the proceedings.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The President addressed the joint sitting for 53 minutes to mark the advent of the second parliamentary year.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers belonging to opposition parties in the Senate and the National Assembly staged an in-House protest during speech of the President. They gathered around the dais of the Chair and raised slogans against the government and the Prime Minister.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on the National Assembly website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Parliament’s proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
President Arif Alvi highlights indigenous movement of Kashmiris against Indian illegal occupation of the Valley ISLAMABAD, August 5, 2020: The Senate convened a special session…
ISLAMABAD, July 30, 2020: The National Assembly passed two government bills related to Financial Action Task Force (FATF) that contained opposition’s proposed amendments and got passage…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 30, 2020: The Senate passed two Financial Action Task Force (FATF) related bills after incorporating amendments proposed by opposition in the…