ISLAMABAD, May 18, 2016: The Punjab Assembly took up its entire agenda except discussion on an Adjournment Motion on Wednesday during ninth sitting of 21st session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for three hours and 53 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1052 hours against the scheduled time 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Chief Minister attended the sitting for 53 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for two hours and 41 minutes.
- 15 MPAs (4%) were present at outset and 19 (5%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP and JI attended the sitting.
- Five minority members were present.
- The House adopted a resolution extending the period of validity of the Punjab Civilian Victims of Terrorism (Relief and Rehabilitation) Ordinance 2016 for a further period of ninety days with effect from 5th June 2016.
- The Minister for Law introduced the Punjab Animal Slaughter Control (Second Amendment) Bill 2016.
- The House passed the Punjab Agriculture, Food and Drug Authority Bill 2016. Nine lawmakers discussed the amendments proposed in the law consuming 40 minutes.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The government answered six out of seven starred questions on floor of the House while while one questions was deferred. The lawmakers also asked 15 supplementary questions.
- The House deferred an Adjournment Motion regarding fake weapon licenses.
- The House held discussion on Measures of Good Governance. The Leader of the House and the Leader of the Opposition spoke on the subject for 62 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on two points of order consuming three minutes of the proceeding.
- Entire Opposition protested on floor of the House for two minutes against departure of the Chief Minister from the House without hearing them.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1441 hours. The Chair ordered to ring the bells for five minutes however the quorum was found incomplete on recounting and the sitting was adjourned.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, December 31, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left most of the agenda unaddressed during Private Members’ day, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
ISLAMABAD, December 30, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab took up entire agenda appearing on Orders of the Day on Monday and unanimously passed the…
ISLAMABAD, December 27, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab held a discussion on the Annual Report of the Punjab Public Service Commission for the Year…