ISLAMABAD, December 2, 2016: The Punjab Assembly could not transact its agenda due to low attendance of lawmakers on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings during seventh sitting of 25th session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for an hour and 10 minutes.
- The proceedings remained suspended for 46 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- The sitting started at 1048 hours against the scheduled time 0900 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 12 minutes.
- Twenty-two MPAs (6%) were present at outset and 88 (23%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- None of the parliamentary leaders attended the sitting.
- Four minority members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House disposed of two out of 17 Starred Questions due to absence of relevant lawmakers while remaining questions could not be taken up due to identification of Quorum.
- The House did not hold discussion on law and order.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on five Points of Order consuming as many minutes of the proceedings.
- An Independent lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1103 hours that led to bells for five minutes and subsequently suspension of the proceedings till 1154 hours. However, the quorum was not completed on resumption of the sitting and the House was adjourned.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, January 24, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab, on Friday, continued discussing the issues concerning Indian atrocities in Kashmir, inflation and security situation in the…
ISLAMABAD, January 23, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab discussed the issues concerning Indian atrocities in Kashmir, inflation and security situation in the country, observes…
ISLAMABAD, December 31, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left most of the agenda unaddressed during Private Members’ day, observes Free and Fair Election Network…