ISLAMABAD, March 9, 2017: The Punjab Assembly continued Pre-Budget discussion on Thursday in the absence of Opposition lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings during fourth sitting of 27th session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for two hours and 50 minutes.
- The proceedings remained suspended for 43 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- The sitting started at 1132 hours against the scheduled time 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting except 22 minutes when a member of the Panel of Chairpersons presided over the proceedings; while the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Twenty-four MPAs (6%) were present at outset and 20 (5%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- None of the parliamentary leaders attended the sitting.
- Four minority members were present.
- Moved by a PML-N lawmaker, the House adopted a supplementary resolution marking the International Women’s Day.
- The House witnessed the presentation of two reports of the Committee on Privileges and Special Committee No. 4.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as eight out of 10 Starred Questions were responded to by the government during Question Hour while two were deferred. The lawmakers also asked 28 supplementary questions.
- The House deferred an Adjournment Motion of PML-N lawmaker and disposed of four Calling Attention Notices of PTI, PML and Independent lawmakers.
- Six lawmakers participated in the Pre-Budget discussion that consumed 32 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on two Points of Order consuming one minute of the proceedings.
- Two PTI lawmakers pointed out quorum twice during the sitting. Once the proceedings had to be suspended for 43 minutes while on second occasions the quorum was completed on ringing the bells for five minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, June 24, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab approved as many as 39 demands for grants of various departments on Thursday, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, June 23, 2021: The Punjab Assembly concluded the general discussion on Provincial Budget 2021-22 and approved demand for grant related to health services, observes…
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2021: The Punjab Assembly adopted three resolutions and deferred question hour due to absence of relevant minister, observes Free and Fair Election…