ISLAMABAD, November 21, 2019: The Punjab Assembly transacted its entire agenda and held general discussion on price control, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Thursday.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the fourth sitting of the 16th session:
- The House met for three hours and 21 minutes; however, the proceedings remained suspended for 24 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1639 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting an hour and seven minutes, Deputy Speaker for an hour and 33 minutes while rest of the sitting was chaired by a member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 85 MPAs (23%) were present at the outset and 50 (13%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- Only the Parliamentary leader of PPPP attended the sitting.
- As many as five out of eight minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Minister for Commerce and Industry opened the general discussion on price control and spoke for 45 minutes. A PML-N lawmaker also participated in the discussion consuming 27 minutes of the proceedings.
- As many as five out of 18 Starred Questions were taken up for answers during the proceedings while six questions were disposed of due to absence of concerned lawmakers. The remaining four questions were not taken up. The lawmakers also asked 15 supplementary questions.
- Minister for Law responded to two Call Attention Notices related to law and order situation.
- The Concerned Ministers responded to two Adjournment Motions demanding new grading system for students passing exams of various levels and recruitment against vacant posts at Tehsil Headquarters Hospital Murree.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised 25 Points of Order consuming 45 minutes of the proceedings.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on November 22, 2019 (Friday) at 0900 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted
Budget Session Prorogued after PM Speech ISLAMABAD, June 30, 2020: The National Assembly concluded its budget session on Tuesday after speech of Prime Minister in…
ISLAMABAD, June 29, 2020: The Budget Session of Sindh Assembly concluded here on Monday and the last sitting transacted entire agenda appearing on `Orders of the…