ISLAMABAD, November 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab was adjourned on Tuesday due to lack of quorum without addressing the Private Members’ agenda, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the second sitting of the 16th session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for two hours and eight minutes; however, the proceedings remained suspended for 22 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1640 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting in the absence of Speaker.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 25 minutes.
- As many as 80 MPAs (22%) were present at the outset while 70 (19%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP and PRHP attended the proceedings.
- As many as six out of eight minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The House did not take up the Private Members’ Business appearing on `Orders of the Day’.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up ten out of 35 Starred questions while lawmakers asked 25 supplementary questions as well.
- A privilege motion of PML-N lawmaker was referred to the relevant committee.
- An adjournment motion of a PTI lawmakers was referred to the committee for further deliberations.
Order and Institutionalization
- Three lawmakers spoke on Points of Order consuming 14 minutes of the proceedings.
- A PML-N lawmaker pointed out the lack of quorum at 1843 hours that led to the ringing of bells for five minutes and subsequently to the adjournment of proceedings.
- The House was adjourned early to meet again on November 20, 2019 (Wednesday) at 1500 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted
Budget Session Prorogued after PM Speech ISLAMABAD, June 30, 2020: The National Assembly concluded its budget session on Tuesday after speech of Prime Minister in…
ISLAMABAD, June 29, 2020: The Budget Session of Sindh Assembly concluded here on Monday and the last sitting transacted entire agenda appearing on `Orders of the…